Our family loves pot roast, and we also love using leftover pot roast to make beef barley soup. It’s such a hearty, filling meal, especially on a cold winter night!
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 10 cups beef broth (if you don’t have enough, make up the rest with water)
- Approx. 2 cups chopped leftover pot roast
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 11 oz. box quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
In a large saucepan, saute carrot, celery & onion with salt in butter until translucent.
Add the broth, beef, tomatoes, barley, pepper, rosemary, basil, and oregano; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.