Ryan and I have been watching through Star Trek: Enterprise, (which I had only seen an episode or two of previously). While I’ve been watching, I’ve come to a realization about Enterprise, which led to a realization about the Star Trek franchise in general, and made me wonder if other people feel this way:
True or False: Every series of Star Trek has one main character that you either wish had never been included in the cast, or was completely unnecessary to the show.
I have come to the conclusion that, for me at least, this is almost uniformly true.
- Star Trek: Enterprise—Hoshi Sato–It’s not really her fault. She was just an underdeveloped, underused character. It seemed like they only really brought her out when they needed something translated or deciphered.
- Star Trek: The Original Series—Uhura–I get that the character was ground-breaking, particularly when it came to race. And I can appreciate that. But I just don’t find that she was all that essential to the show…I think it would have worked just fine without her.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation—Counselor Troi–I don’t suppose I have anything against Troi as a person, but the whole 80s concept of bringing your therapist with you when traveling the galaxy is just so obnoxious, I can’t get past it.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine–This show is the one exception to the rule. I really like all of the characters, which makes sense, because I think the characters were better developed and written in this series than they were in any other. If I had to choose, however, I’d go with Ezri Dax, partly because I’ll never forgive them for killing off Jadzia, and partly because Ezri was so annoying. But she barely counts, since she was only on for one season.
- Star Trek: Voyager—Kes–And for good measure, you can throw Neelix in with her. Kes is possibly the most pointless character in Star Trek history, which the writers obviously realized, because they got rid of her after three seasons. And Neelix is irritating, too, partly because of his association with Kes, and partly on his own merit.
I’m not really sure what it says that all of my least favorite characters on Star Trek are women. On the other hand, my favorite characters, (T’Pol, Spock, Worf, Dax, and B’Elanna Torres, to name a few), are all aliens. I guess that says something about me, too. Maybe I need that 80s therapist, after all!