As I was preparing for our annual eight days of Thanksgiving School, I realized that for the last few years, I’ve been using the same outline. In addition to our month-long “Thankful Tree,” we have eight days of special, Thanksgiving-related themes, and read the same favorite books out loud. The crafts change from year to year (as do field trips and cooking/baking activities), but I do have a rotation for those, as well…and we always make hand and footprint turkeys.
It’s so nice not having to plan it out every year, so I thought I’d share what’s been working for us:
- Day One–Native Americans
- Day Two–The Mayflower
- Day Three–Pilgrims and other Early American colonists
- Day Four–The First Thanksgiving
- Day Five–Thanksgiving in the 1800s
- Day Six–Modern Thanksgiving celebrations
- Day Seven–Thanksgiving Fun
- Day Eight–Teacher’s Choice
As always, this is one of my favorite parts of the school year!