Today is the day I fill out the paperwork so that we can get Moose evaluated for Early Intervention. I’m not really sure how I feel about this. Obviously, I would like him to be talking–he is two and a half, after all. I honestly don’t know if I think something is really wrong with him, or if he just has two older siblings that never let him get a word in edgewise, but I figured I better make the call now, before he turns three and is no longer eligible for E.I.
I have been informed that today’s appointment will just be paperwork. An hour’s worth. Oh joy. And I don’t know if they’ll schedule the evaluation today while they’re here, or if that’s something that will be done next week after they process the paperwork. After that, I don’t know how long it will take them to get our here and do the evaluation, but given that it only took a week from when I called for the paperwork appointment, I’m assuming they move faster here than I’ve heard they do in other areas. Or, maybe they’re just fast with the paperwork, and it will take forever for the evaluation. Heck, he might be three before they ever get to him–I just don’t know how this all works.
Anyway, the nice thing is, they do everything in the home, so that the child is in his most comfortable environment. I don’t have to worry about packing up all four children and taking them somewhere; I don’t have to worry about the older children interrupting whatever therapy he may need; I don’t have to worry about finding a sitter. These are all good things.
What I am worried about, though, is what they’re going to tell me. I’ve done enough research to know at least some of the conditions that can cause a speech delay, and frankly, it scares me. I also know that I shouldn’t put the cart before the house, because some children truly just don’t talk until they want to. I am curious as to how they’re going to diagnose him, if at all. On a good day, Moose doesn’t do anything that he doesn’t want to do. I’m going to assume they’re used to working with stubborn children, but I’m afraid if he’s not feeling cooperative, not only will they think he can’t talk, but that he doesn’t understand anything either, which is not true.
I guess I’m going to have to leave it to the professionals to figure out–that’s why I called them, after all. A big part of me feels guilty for not calling sooner, but what mother wants to admit that something is wrong with her child? I really kept thinking that he’d just start talking one day, but as we edge closer to the three year mark, I guess he needs some encouragement at the least.
I’d appreciate any prayers as we begin this process–the uncertain can be a scary thing, but sometimes, the known is even worse (depending on what it is).
Being a mommy hurts, sometimes.
2 thoughts on “And So It Begins”
Just got back from 4 days with the youth. (Picture deer in headlights look.)
Be sure to keep me posted on how things are going. Is there anything I can do?
God bless you ALL always!
I remember that look well–I’ve spent the last five plus years trying to forget some parts of the trips I chaperoned!
Right now we’re just waiting–he’ll be evaluated sometime in the next two weeks probably, and then they’ll sit down with us and come up with a plan for treatment if necessary, which I’m pretty sure will happen at this point…
We’ll keep you posted–your prayers are appreciated!