It’s been a long time since I’ve done a list of my top five favorite movies…and it wasn’t even an official “Top Five” list back then! The list has changed quite a bit, so here’s the updated version:
- The King’s Speech–This has been my favorite movie pretty much since the first time I saw it.
- Apollo 13–But before I saw the above movie, this had been my favorite for many years!
- Hidden Figures–This is the most recent addition to my list, and it’s definitely the best new movie I’ve seen since The King’s Speech. Truly excellent. It also has a lot in common with Apollo 13.
- A League of Their Own–Baseball, plus history, and I’ve even visited some of the places used for filming this movie…how could I not love it?
- White Christmas–A Christmas movie had to make the list, and there is no Christmas movie I like better than this one!
The children asked me to turn it into a top ten list, so here’s the remaining five, at their request:
- Hoosiers–Along with the next two movies, this used to have a spot in my top five…it’s my second favorite sports movie, and has one of the best soundtracks I’ve ever heard!
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding–Not only does this movie make me laugh every time, it’s also a Chicago movie!
- Ocean’s 11–Who doesn’t love a good caper?
- Meet Me in St. Louis–This is the oldest movie on my list, both in production and setting…it grows on me a bit more each time I see it, and it’s a movie our family watches often!
- Cars–This is a special movie to me, both for sentimental reasons and because I really love its message. It must be very special, to be the only animated movie on the list!
These lists are interesting to me. Many of the movies I like best are based on actual historic events, although they have different levels of fictionalization. These movies also provide a pretty good snapshot of the things I love…the British monarchy, space, baseball, Christmas, history, St. Louis, and mid-century modern anything. Really, the only thing that’s missing is Lego…and The Lego Movie would probably find its place in spot 11!
What are your favorite movies?