I’m always on the lookout for a new soup recipe, and when I saw one for a potato-parsnip variety, I was intrigued, because I both really like potato soup and the flavor of parsnips. I made a few changes so it would suit us a little better, and in the end, it was a huge hit (and also a very pretty meal!)!
- 2 lbs. baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 lb. parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- black pepper to taste
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Crème fraîche or Mexican crema, bacon bits, and chopped chives for garnish
Preheat oven to 425.
Toss potatoes, parsnips, onion, and garlic with olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast in oven for about 40 minutes.
Combine vegetables with broth in large stock pot. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Puree in blender or with immersion blender until smooth.
Return to pot and combine with milk and cream and add salt and pepper to taste; heat though without boiling.
Garnish as desired.