This quote from Deep Space Nine is a little too on the nose right now, and without context, could easily be about current events:
“I hope you’re right, Commander. I really do. But until we determine the source, we have to follow standard containment procedures and isolate all members of the senior staff.” William Sadler as Sloan in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
I’m actually not too picky about TV…I’ll watch lots of different things. But, for the interest of this “Top Five” list, I’m going with the shows that I can watch over and over, and never get tired of. Shows that make me feel like I’m with friends when I watch them. Shows that I turn to when I’m sick or sad, because I know they’ll bring a smile to my face.
- Friends–I couldn’t even guess how many times I’ve watched through the whole run of this show, and yet, I never get tired of it. As ridiculous as it sounds, they actually feel like my friends! I have sentimental attachments to certain episodes, too, like “The One with Monica and Chandler’s Wedding,” which aired the night before my wedding, and every Thanksgiving episode, which have become part of Ryan’s and my yearly Thanksgiving traditions. This show has also become part of Ryan’s and my speech…it’s without a doubt the most-quoted show in our house. I don’t think we can make through a day (sometimes through an hour) without one of making a Friends reference!
- Downton Abbey–I started watching because, as an Anglophile, I had to give it a chance. I kept watching it because I had to know what was going to happen to the characters, because it has such a beautiful setting, and because the costuming is so elaborate and beautifully well done! Oh, and to see what fantastic one-liner is going to come out of Maggie Smith’s mouth next! I’m just sad that this is the last series…
- Scrubs–I’ve always liked hospital shows, but this one is lighter than most…but not always, which makes it seem even more real. The episodes that have made me cry have made me appreciate the many episodes that make me laugh even more.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine–While The Next Generation was my first exposure to Star Trek, it’s Deep Space Nine that I want to watch over and over again. The casting for the show was perfect, and I love watching the characters interact. Plus, Jeffrey Combs appears in so many roles, and I love to hate him in them all!
- I Love Lucy–Sure, I have my favorite episodes, but the great thing about this classic is that there are no bad episodes. No matter which disc I pop in, I’m guaranteed to laugh, and it’s also totally child-appropriate, which makes it a show we frequently watch as a family!
I love this quote…it demonstrates how baseball imitates life!
In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape. Avery Brooks as Commander Sisko in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine