- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
Saute onion and garlic in butter in a medium saucepan until tender. Add 1 can chicken broth; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
Transfer broth mixture into the container of a blender or processor. Process until smooth.
Return mixture to saucepan. Add remaining can of broth, pumpkin, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, and ground pepper; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in cream and heat through. Do not boil.
*If you desire a thicker soup, add 3 Tbsp. flour to onion mixture before adding chicken broth. Cook onion and flour mixture for 2-3 minutes, then add broth, and continue following recipe.