Since we’ve had our new minivan, we’ve had a trial of SiriusXM Radio, which I’ve really been enjoying. We’ve had it from time to time before, and I also like flipping through the stations. One that we found that I’ve really enjoyed listening to is “Disney Hits,” which has music not just from the expected places (the classic animated movies and Disney Channel shows), but also from the parks, and newer Disney acquisitions such as Star Wars. I especially enjoy the “Be Our Guest 4 The Day” segment, where listeners get to pick their top four Disney songs to be played. I decided to come up with my own list, but of course I had to add a fifth song…but for once, I actually have five items on my list!
- “Part of Your World”–This song from The Little Mermaid is my favorite from the Alan Menken era, and the one I most associate with the Disney of my childhood. I can’t tell you how many times I sang it in the shower (bathrooms have excellent acoustics, even for those of us who can’t sing a note!), and I still really relate to Ariel wanting to explore the unknown when she sings this one.
- “Little Wonders”–I still haven’t seen the movie (Meet the Robinsons) that this song is from, but as it came out in the winter of 2007, I remember singing it to Ladybug when we were up in the middle of the night when she was a newborn. Danny Elfman’s music is almost as much a part of my Disney memories as Menken’s, so it’s only fitting that one of his songs has a place on the list.
- “Hakuna Matata”–My children informed me that my list wouldn’t be complete without this song from The Lion King because I love singing it so much…when I see a warthog at the zoo, I’m always tempted to start belting it out!
- “It’s a Small World”–I know this a controversial choice because the song has a reputation for being annoying, but I love it because it brings back such happy memories of riding the eponymous ride at both Disney World and Disneyland. It may be repetitive, but the sentiment is spot on, and you can’t have a top five Disney songs list without including the Sherman Brothers, can you?
- “When You Wish Upon a Star”–For my bonus song, I picked what is arguably the most iconic of all Disney pieces, famous not just from Pinocchio, but also from the intro to classic Disney TV shows and films…it even won the Academy Award for best song in 1940!
What are your favorite Disney songs?