It was rather convenient that, this year, Michaelmas coincided with a nice Sunday dinner! We had angel chicken, which is chicken in a creamy Italian white wine sauce served over angel hair pasta:
And a heavenly strawberry roll for dessert, also know as angel food cake jelly-rolled and filled with vanilla-strawberry cream (notice the theme?):
I wish I could have come up with an angelic side dish, too, but I’m just not that creative. But having the main dish and dessert share the theme wasn’t too bad!
This dinner is a family favorite, and makes enough that we can have a second meal with the leftovers!
- 3 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 4 ounces cream cheese with chives
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in the package of dressing mix. Blend in wine and golden mushroom soup. Mix in cream cheese, and stir until smooth. Heat through, but do not boil.
Arrange chicken breasts in a single layer in a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Pour sauce over. Bake for 60 minutes in the preheated oven.
Twenty minutes before the chicken is done, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Cook pasta until al dente, according to box directions. Drain.
Chop up chicken and serve with sauce over pasta.
I usually double the following recipe, to make sure we have plenty of leftovers!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (4-ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (16 ounces) BUSH’S BEST Great Northern Beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped cooked chicken breast
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
In large skillet, cook onion in oil for 4 minutes or until transparent. Add chilies, flour and cumin; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add beans and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; cook until hot.
Garnish with cheese, sour cream and salsa, if desired.
- 3 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded
- 1 6 ounce package quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.
In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
*If you like a thicker soup, use two boxes of the long grain and wild rice.